Monday, November 4, 2013

why can't we be friends?

Lately I've been reminiscing about Utah, which led me to thoughts about Roosevelt, and eventually landed me thinking about friendships made there. I cannot believe how lucky I was to have made so many friends through dance, sports, work, and school. I am extremely grateful for the friends I am still in contact with.

So my question is, what happened to the rest of you? Or rather, what happened to us?

Why do I feel like my "best friends" disappeared when I needed them most? Did I make too many stupid decisions or too many mistakes? Was I selfish to think they would always be there? Is it true that people really do choose sides?

Now that I'm married it makes sense that we don't talk every day. My issue is that we don't talk at all. Never.

I love the feeling I get when I talk to a friend and it's been weeks, months, even years. I love hearing what's changed. I love that there is still a real friendship. It may sound dramatic but it gives me a sense of hope for mankind. You know, that people really don't care only about themselves. That relationships are still important.

I admit there are times I have a thought to call so-and-so or comment on something they post on social media and I don't. After avoiding it, I always think why didn't I just follow through?

Truth is, 90% of the time I'm afraid. The other 10% I'm in a rush or just lazy. (C'mon, we all have those days.)

What am I so afraid of? It's just conversation, right?

2 comments:

  1. I think about this a lot too. I'm not really 'friends' with any of my high school friends anymore. I actually don't even really talk to leis a anymore,except to comment on her blog or something. It's sad cuz we were inseparable in high school!! It's weird how marriage/kids changes things, and it's sad too. I know I don't make much effort to stay in touch with friends, so I can't expect anyone else to do the same. Maybe that should be something I should work on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya Rio! I need to just be proactive and do something about it. I always think other people will do it first. I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete